Alcohol Licensing

If, as a social, sporting or political members club, you want to supply alcohol to your members or guests, you will need a Club Premises Certificate.

  • If your club premises are in a city centre with a high density of bars, restaurants and off-licences, your application for a Club Premises Certificate to sell alcohol will be more complicated.
  • Pro-Leagle offer a two-tiered service depending on whether the premises are inside a "Cumulative Impact Zone".
£275 - Standard Application £349 - Cumulative Impact Zone

What is a Club Premises Certificate?

A Club Premises Certificate is a permanent licence granted for a specific club premises in England or Wales to authorise licensable activities. These include:

  • The supply of alcohol to club members or guests.
  • The provision of regulated entertainment (such as the performance of live music or any playing of recorded music) before 8am or after 11pm.
  • The provision of late night refreshment (providing hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

If you intend to carry out any of these activities at your social, sporting or political members club, a Club Premises Certificate will be required.

Beer Taps

Application Procedure

  • Qualifying applicants in England and Wales must apply for a Club Premises Certificate to the Licensing Authority of the Local District Council covering the area in which the premises are located.

Pro-Leagle have a proven track-record of managing Club Premises Certificate Applications. We currently hold a 100% success rate for grant of licence at first application. We liaise with the relevant authorities (such as the Police or Environmental Health) to prepare your application. This can generally be completed in 1-2 weeks assuming timely responses to our queries. The application will then be provided to you for filing, with appropriate instructions. This allows us to keep your fees low.

Required Documents

Proof of Right to Live/Work in the UK

You will need to provide proof of the right to live and work in the UK for the club secretary making the application.

Application Form

You must provide an application form containing the Operating Schedule including opening times and the hours of:

  1. Alcohol service
  2. Regulated entertainment before 8am or after 11pm (such as the performance of music); or
  3. The provision of late night refreshment (providing hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

You must detail measures to be taken to comply with the four licensing objectives. This section of the form is critical to the success of your application and you should seek professional advice when completing it.

Pro-Leagle prepare the application form in consultation with the client and responsible authorities such as the Police.

Club Premises Declaration

You must provide a declaration stating that the club qualifies for a premises certificate. This must be accompanied by, and cross-referenced to, a copy of your club rules which must meet the requirements of Part 4 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Premises Plans

You will need detailed plans of the premises, the requirements for which are set out in statute. The plans need to identify alcohol stores, fire alarms and control systems and CCTV cameras etc.

Premises plans are not included in our fee and they will need to sourced from an appropriate, third-party provider at additional cost. If, however, you already have a to-scale plan we can adapt this for you.

Advertising Materials

You will need to advertise your Club Premises Certificate application both at the premises and in the local press. We supply advertising text with appropriate instructions.

Application Costs

Licensing Authority Fee

This will depend on the rateable value of the premises:

  • Band A: £0 - £4,300: £100
  • Band B: £4,301 - £33,000: £190
  • Band C: £33,001 - £87,000: £315
  • Band D: £87,001 - £125,000: £450
  • Band E: £125,001 - and over: £635

Club Rules

Need your existing club rules reviewed for compliance with the Licensing Act 2003? We can assist for a fee of £99. Setting up a new club and do not yet have any official rules? We can prepare them for you for a fee of £299.

Premises Plan Preparation

Fees charged by floor-plan providers are variable. If you already have a basic, to-scale plan we can adapt this to Club Premises Certificate requirements for £99.

Advertising Costs

You will need to pay for a small advert to run in a local newspaper (costs variable).


Cumulative Impact Areas/Zones

  • Licensing authorities often institute Cumulative Impact policies to deal with alcohol-related disorder in specific areas containing a high density of licensed properties (such as public houses or off-licences).
  • In such areas there is generally a rebuttal presumption for new applications. In other words, applications will be rejected unless it can be successfully argued that granting the Club Premises Certificate would not add to existing disorder.
  • For such applications prior consultation with responsible authorities such as the Police is a must. Understanding the potential issues in advance can save on unnecessary Licensing Authority hearings. Recommendations may include:
  • Installing colour CCTV.
  • Putting in place a clear staff training policy.
  • Banning "vertical drinking" (all club members and guests supplied with alcohol must be seated).
  • Supplying alcohol only as part of a table meal.
  • Pro-Leagle have a strong track record of success with Cumulative Impact Area applications - particularly in challenging London suburbs.

Pro-Leagle Application Preparation

  • We liaise with the relevant authorities to prepare your application which is then provided to you for filing (generally 1-2 weeks).
  • We provide all supporting documentation (advertising materials, consent forms etc.) with the exception of premises plans.
  • Applications in Cumulative Impact Zones are more complex and are billed at a higher rate.
  • We currently hold 100% success rate for grant of licence at first application.

Thank you for your excellent and prompt service which has been appreciated by all.

Springvale Cricket Club, Wolverhampton.