Alcohol Licensing

If, as a proprietor, you want to supply alcohol to the public, you will need a Premises Licence.

  • If your premises are in a city centre with a high density of bars, restaurants and off-licences, your application for a Premises Licence to sell alcohol will be more complicated.
  • Pro-Leagle offer a two-tiered service depending on whether the premises are inside a "Cumulative Impact Zone".
£275 - Standard Application £349 - Cumulative Impact Zone

What is a Premises Licence?

A Premises Licence is a permanent licence granted for a specific location in England or Wales to authorise licensable activities. These include:

  • The sale of alcohol to the public.
  • The provision of regulated entertainment (such as the performance of live music or any playing of recorded music) before 8am or after 11pm.
  • The provision of late night refreshment (providing hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

If you intend to carry out any of these activities at your bar, pub, restaurant or off-licence, a premises licence will be required.

Beer Taps

Application Procedure

  • Qualifying applicants in England and Wales must apply for a Premises Licence to the Licensing Authority of the Local District Council covering the area in which the premises are located.

Pro-Leagle have a proven track-record of managing Premises Licence Applications. We currently hold a 100% success rate for grant of licence at first application. We liaise with the relevant authorities (such as the Police or Environmental Health) to prepare your application. This can generally be completed in 1-2 weeks assuming timely responses to our queries. The application will then be provided to you for filing, with appropriate instructions. This allows us to keep your fees low.

Required Documents

Proof of Right to Live/Work in the UK

For individual applicants, or directors of applicant companies, you will need to provide proof of the right to live and work in the UK.

DPS Consent Form

You will need a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS), who holds a Personal licence to sell, or authorise the sale of, alcohol, and their signed consent form to act as the DPS. We can supply the completed consent form for signature.

Application Form

You must provide an application form containing the Operating Schedule including opening times and the hours of:

  1. Alcohol service
  2. Regulated entertainment before 8am or after 11pm (such as the performance of music); or
  3. The provision of late night refreshment (providing hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am).

You must detail measures to be taken to comply with the four licensing objectives. This section of the form is critical to the success of your application and you should seek professional advice when completing it.

Pro-Leagle prepare the application form in consultation with the client and responsible authorities such as the Police.

Premises Plans

You will need detailed plans of the premises, the requirements for which are set out in statute. The plans need to identify alcohol stores, fire alarms and control systems and CCTV cameras etc.

Premises plans are not included in our fee and they will need to sourced from an appropriate, third-party provider at additional cost. If, however, you already have a to-scale plan we can adapt this for you.

Advertising Materials

You will need to advertise your Premises Licence application both at the premises and in the local press. We supply advertising text with appropriate instructions.

Application Costs

Personal Licence

If you intend to act as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) but do not have a Personal Licence, you will need to obtain one (cost approximately £150).

Licensing Authority Fee

This will depend on the rateable value of the premises:

  • Band A: £0 - £4,300: £100
  • Band B: £4,301 - £33,000: £190
  • Band C: £33,001 - £87,000: £315
  • Band D: £87,001 - £125,000: £450
  • Band E: £125,001 - and over: £635

Premises Plan Preparation

Fees charged by floor-plan providers are variable. If you already have a basic, to-scale plan we can adapt this to premises licence requirements for £99.

Advertising Costs

You will need to pay for a small advert to run in a local newspaper (costs variable).


Cumulative Impact Areas/Zones

  • Licensing authorities often institute Cumulative Impact policies to deal with alcohol-related disorder in specific areas containing a high density of licensed properties (such as public houses or off-licences).
  • In such areas there is generally a rebuttal presumption for new applications. In other words, applications will be rejected unless it can be successfully argued that granting the premises licence would not add to existing disorder.
  • For such applications prior consultation with responsible authorities such as the Police is a must. Understanding the potential issues in advance can save on unnecessary Licensing Authority hearings. Recommendations may include:
  • Installing colour CCTV.
  • Putting in place a clear staff training policy.
  • Banning "vertical drinking" (all customers supplied with alcohol must be seated).
  • If the premises are a restaurant, supplying alcohol only as part of a table meal.
  • Pro-Leagle have a strong track record of success with Cumulative Impact Area applications - particularly in challenging London suburbs.

Pro-Leagle Application Preparation

  • We liaise with the relevant authorities to prepare your application which is then provided to you for filing (generally 1-2 weeks).
  • We provide all supporting documentation (advertising materials, consent forms etc.) with the exception of premises plans.
  • Applications in Cumulative Impact Zones are more complex and are billed at a higher rate.
  • We currently hold 100% success rate for grant of licence at first application.

Magnificent! This is our second time using Pro-Leagle and can't thank them enough for all the support and help they have provided - both for our successful AWRS application and for our premises licence. Across both projects they were super thorough, knowledgeable, and helped us achieve successful results in a smooth and expedited fashion. Also, extremely professional and very responsive to any questions throughout the process.

C Rossello, Touch Of Wine Ltd.